From August 10-27, the Africa Days celebrate pure joie de vivre for the fourteenth time in Vienna. Captivating rhythms, imaginative costumes and delicious food transform Danube Island into a center of happiness.
African culture is about much more than the roll of drums and tribal rites. For example, it also includes fantastic music, delicious food and drink, traditional handicrafts and modern design. All of this can be enjoyed from August 10 at the Africa Days on Danube Island - for 18 days non-stop.
Two music shows are presented every evening. That makes a total of 36 live concerts on the 18 days. Here are a few tips:
• The opening celebration will feature the finest reggae along with dub and psychedelic music by Ronald Reggae. The cosmopolitan Jahcoustix now brings its positively charged reggae to Danube Island after well over 1,000 concerts on five continents (August 10).
• Inner Circle, the “Bad Boys of Reggae” from Jamaica are a musical highlight (Aug 15).
• Ky-Mani Marley is the son of the reggae legend Bob Marley and has established his own reputation in the scene for quite some time (Aug 22).
• The Italian Albrosie is one of the most sought-after artists in the reggae genre. He performs with the band Shengen Clan (Aug 23).
• Sona Jobareth is the first woman from a West-African griot family who plays the kora – an African bridge harp (Aug 24).
• He brought the afro sound to Europe and America in the 1970s and the “Soul Makossa” is his trademark: Manu Dibango (Aug 25).
• The South-African band Freshlyground with lead singer Zolani Nahola is a particularly great experience live.
To keep hunger at bay during the day, head for the Sahara tent and the huge African Bazaar, which offers a wide variety of regional dishes. There's also all sorts of jewelry and handicrafts to rummage through there. You can take home of a piece of Africa with you in the form of a typical African hairstyle or brightly colored clothing.
Then there are also drum and dance workshops, while an extensive children's program provides entertainment for younger guests with kids' face painting, creative workshops, drumming, camel and pony rides.
14th Africa Days Vienna 2018, Aug 10 - 27, 2018
Mo - Fr, 14:00 – 24:00, Sa - Su, 11:00 – 24:00
Charity days: Free admission on August 13, August 20 and August 27, 2018. Please make voluntary donations to aid organizations on site
Children up to 13 years of age – free
Detailed program, information: www.afrika-tage.at