For 65 days, City Hall Square is once again a pulsating open-air meeting point: The Film Festival at Rathausplatz presents musical highlights of opera, classical, pop, and rock as well as culinary delights from July 1. That's summer in Vienna. Free admission!
It is one of the most popular summer events in the heart of the city and Europe's biggest culture and food festival: The Film Festival at Rathausplatz founded in 1991 and located between Vienna City Hall and the Ringstrasse boulevard. This year again, it will draw hundreds of thousands of fans of good music and food to City Hall Square – with free admission on all evenings.
The culture broadcaster ORF III presents six topical evenings with high-class stage experiences from all over Austria on the screen of the Film Festival:
• Classical stars at Traunsee: live (with a time delay) from the Salzkammergut Festival Gmunden (with Adrian Eröd and Stephen Gould)
• Classics in the Alps: Open-air gala from Kitzbühel (with Elīna Garanča)
• Robert Stolz's operetta Frühjahrsparade live (with a time delay) from the Bühne Baden stage
• Intl. Baroque Days Melk Abbey: Georg Philipp Telemann's Der Tag des Gerichts (with Michael Schade)
• Concert Jazz on a Summer's Day by Viktor Gernot and Simone Kopmayer
• Bregenz Festival: Giuseppe Verdi's opera Ernani
Another tip from the classical program: Violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, who is celebrating her 60th birthday, revives the best-known sounds of the film music icon John Williams.
The Film Festival at Rathausplatz also presents artists who deal with climate change in music: The German cellist Tanja Tetzlaff plays Bach suites in Suites For a Suffering World and 14 orchestras from around the world brings Vivaldi's The Four Seasons into the 21st century with The [uncertain] four Seasons.
The performances of the Children's Opera Festival commence every Friday at 5.00 pm. Before that, the youngest ones have the chance to romp around in the active program of "Bewegung findet Stadt" at City Hall Park.
A live DJ serves up a good sound in the food area (Th-Sa evenings). Two (live!) concert evenings are planned in cooperation with Kultursommer Wien (July 15: brass music, July 16: choral evening).
33rd Film Festival at Vienna's Rathausplatz 2023
July 1 – September 3, 2023 (daily)
Film starts at nightfall
Food and drink: 11.00 am – 12.00 midnight
Admission is free!